(If you are not already receiving our monthly newsletters and other announcements,
please enter your e-mail address into the box on the home page to be added to the mailing list).
• Develop your sustainability skill set
• Receive research assistance from SBC staff & interns
• Transition your business practices and increase organizational sustainability
• Educate your customers and your community and enhance your marketing
The truly sustainable path includes a business plan built upon equitable labor practices, ethical profits, and responsible use of natural resources. We recognize that making a business more sustainable takes commitment, vision and at times, resources. Therefore we want to encourage businesses to attain higher Eco-Seal levels as their education increases.
The STS program is a graduated recognition program, relying on members to honestly and transparently report on their own progress. It is structured to identify organizations that are demonstrating a serious commitment and progression toward eco-friendly business practices. The STS program is strictly voluntary; there are no regulatory components.
• Three hour introductory workshop
• Nine area assessment instrument
• Assistance with goal setting and implementation planning
• Ever-expanding selection of STS Fact Sheets addressing sustainable business practices
• Promotional materials including an enhanced web profile for your SBC member page, Eco Seal window decal, and brochure
• Networking assistance and inclusion in the STS section of the monthly SBC newsletter
At the workshop you will:
• Hear the "business case for sustainability" and get a short "sustainability 101" course
• Complete a comprehensive sustainability assessment
• Develop a sustainability priority area and set a goal in that area for the upcoming year
• Identify barriers to pursuing sustainability and ways to overcome them
• Become eligible to participate in the STS recognition program and hear about the follow-up and goal-setting process that the program entails
STS Eco-Seal Levels
• demonstrate genuine commitment and progress toward embracing and implementing environmental/social sustainability practices. The striver level is the entry level recognition and is earned by accruing five Greenpoints, at least two badges, and sending one stakeholder to the Greening Your Business workshop [or alternatively completing the SBC’s sustainability assessment process].
• demonstrate significant integration of environmental and social sustainability practices throughout the organization. The gold level is earned by accruing ten Greenpoints and at least four badges.
• demonstrate comprehensive integration and cultural adoption of sustainable best practices throughout the organization. The green level
is reserved for market-leading organizations that have accrued 15 Greenpoints and 7 or more badges. This achievement level recognizes companies that have demonstrated best practices among their peer organizations and market sector.
• Provide education, tools and resources to members to assist them in their quest for sustainability
• Recognize organizations for achievements on their sustainability journey
• Educate the general public on key sustainability issues and provide a
guided standard that is easily recognizable and understood
• Create a network of businesses that are on a sustainable path and
encourage those within the networks to collaborate and support one